I was making Magic Cookie Bars, otherwise known as 7 Layer Cookies, or Hello Dollies for a friend’s daughter’s party yesterday, when my daughter looked at me and asked if she could have one.
Magic Cookie Bars begin with melting a stick of butter in a 13 x 9 inch pan, adding 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, pouring a can of sweetened condensed milk, and ending with sprinkling a cup of chocolate chips, a half cup of nuts, and some shredded coconut – before baking at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
My daughter – whose tummy has had a whirlwind of issues – was finally diagnosed with lactose intolerance last winter. Butter seems to be okay for my girl, but cow’s milk is definitely out for her.
As this uses coconut milk, it is not low in fat, but it is a delicious alternative. 🙂
Welcome to Dairy Free Magic Cookie Bars:
~6 Tablespoons of Earth Balance vegan shortening
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (if you want Gluten Free, simply use Gluten Free cookie crumbs)
13.5 oz can Coconut Milk* + 1/2-1 teaspoon of powdered Turbinado sugar (or its equivalent)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup shredded organic unsweetened coconut
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees, or 325 if using glass pan.
2) In 13 x 9 inch pan, melt vegan shortening stick.
3) Pour graham cracker crumbs evenly over melted vegan shortening until bottom of pan covered evenly and completely.
4) Open and pour can of coconut milk into separate bowl first to stir until smooth. Add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of powdered Turbinado sugar (or its equivalent) to coconut milk and stir until combined.
5) Pour coconut milk over graham cracker crumbs and spread to make even layer.
6) Sprinkle chips, nuts, and coconut over top.
7) Bake 350, or 325 if you have a glass pan, for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges look bubbly and the shredded coconut looks a little toasted.
8) Let cool down on counter. Then refrigerate for several hours, or overnight for bars to harden deliciously. Cut into bars, and enjoy!