When I was in high school and I used to make Chocolate Cream Pie, it was with (shudder) Cool Whip, instant chocolate pudding, and candy bars. That is how I think of Chocolate Cream Pie. With that in mind, I think of this as Chocolate Pudding Pie, which in essence, is what it is.
You can argue that chocolate is an antioxidant, thereby this is healthy. I prefer to think of it just as yummy! 🙂
Chocolate Pudding Pie (Chocolate Cream Pie)
6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 Tablespoons light olive oil
2/3 cup turbinado sugar
1/3 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 cups brown rice milk (or other milk)
1/2 cup cream (or additional milk)
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons butter
9″ baked pie shell
- In a cold pot, mix cocoa and oil until smooth.
- Add sugar, flour, milk, and cream to pot and cook on medium heat until just bubbling.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Slowly whisk a half of a cup of warm milk mixture into egg yolks to warm up eggs.
- Whisk an additional cup of warm milk mixture before adding all the contents of the bowl back into the pot on the stove.
- Cook on the stove on medium low heat for an additional few minutes, stirring to prevent pudding from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Remove pudding from heat. Add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melted.
- Pour into baked pie shell and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until set. Serve with fresh whipped cream. Enjoy!