I save the ends of my bread, because no one really likes to eat them, and I shove them in the freezer at the back. Sooner or later, I take them out, stick them in the food processor, add Parmesan cheese, garlic powder (or garlic salt), onion powder, and oregano. You can just purchase seasoned bread crumbs, but invariably they have stuff in them my daughter can’t have, and if you’re gluten free, use your gluten free bread ends, and this recipe should work the same way – but, don’t quote me, as I haven’t tried it out yet.
~6 pieces of bread worth of bread crumbs with Parmesan & spices
1.5 lbs of chicken breast
~1/2 cup of tomato sauce
2+ eggs, beaten (if you have no eggs, use olive oil – I did and it worked!)
1+ cups mozzarella (sliced is better than shredded, less messy, but I usually only have shredded and it’s fine)
1) Rinse and pat chicken dry
2) Dip each piece of chicken into seasoned bread crumbs, then into egg/oil, then back into the bread crumbs
3) Cook over medium to medium low heat in large frying pan with 1/4 inch oil at bottom. Wait until oil is hot before carefully* placing chicken in pan
4) Carefully* use tongs or spatula to flip chicken over in oil when bottom side is browned nicely
5) When both sides of each piece of chicken are nicely browned, place in glass or metal baking pan. As oven is preheating to 350 F, spoon a couple tablespoons of tomato sauce over top of chicken breasts, before putting mozzarella on top
6) Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and juices run clear
*Hot oil burns, so be careful!!
** Undercooked chicken can be hazardous to your health
*** I serve this with a salad. Yes, this is more trouble than most of my recipes, but it’s very yummy!