My daughter asked me this morning if we could have cheese biscuits for dinner tonight.
2 cups flour *
1 tsp cream of tartar**
1/2 tsp baking soda**
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
6 oz liquid (water, broth, milk, unsweetened almond milk, etc.)
4 oz shredded cheese ***
* I use a combination of half whole wheat flour and half unbleached white flour
** You can use 2 tsp of baking powder instead of the baking soda and cream of tartar together. Be aware that baking soda usually has cornstarch added to it, and most brands also have aluminum.
*** If you are allergic to dairy, you can substitute finely diced meat, veggies, fruit, etc.
**** I use unsweetened almond milk in this recipe. Water is good if you are adding fruit, broth is good if you are adding veggies or meat.
1) In large bowl, add flour, cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda.
2) Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter.
3) When shortening is fairly well blended, add liquid and cheese. Stir until barely moistened.
4) With clean hands, scoop out biscuit dough gently about the size of the inside of your palm and place on lined cookie sheet.
5) Bake at 350 F for about 15-20+ minutes, depending on how hot your oven runs.
Best served when warm. Needs no butter. Just warm cheesy goodness. Good side dish for fish or chicken.